Do you know a graduating high school senior who is looking for scholarships to help pay for college? First Community Credit Union will, once again, be offering multiple scholarships to members of the Credit Union.
Investing in Our Youth
FCCU has a program that supports our dedication to area communities by investing in our youth.
We donated $1 million into a scholarship foundation to provide additional scholarship dollars to graduating high school students. The earnings from the foundation go to fund scholarship opportunities, including multi-year scholarships for members of the credit union for years to come. In 2023 alone, our Education Foundation funded $57,000 in scholarships to our members.
Our Credit Union will award nine $5,000 scholarships and six $2,500 scholarships, which are $1,250 per year. There are 15 dedicated scholarships available for the following schools in which FCCU has branch locations:
- Bismarck State College
- Cankdeska Cikana Community College
- Concordia College
- Lake Region State College
- Mayville State University
- Minnesota State Community and Technical College
- Minnesota State University Moorhead
- North Dakota State University
- North Dakota State College of Science
- Northland Community and Technical College
- University of Jamestown
- University of Mary
- University of Minnesota Crookston
- University of North Dakota
- Valley City State University
In addition, a limited number of individual one-year scholarships will be available to any college, university, or trade school of the student's choice at the value of $1,000.
Want tips & tricks about applying for scholarships? Listen to our scholarship podcast!
Apply For a Scholarship
Our application process is currently closed and will reopen again in early January 2024.
When it is open, our scholarship application process is online where applications can be created, saved and submitted with our FCCU Scholarship Application.
- Must be a graduating high school senior
- Must be planning to attend a U.S. college or trade school full time
- All applicants must meet minimum standards
- Employees, board/committee members, and affiliates and their immediate families of FCCU are not eligible for this program
- Applicant and/or parent/guardian must be an active member in good standing of First Community Credit Union as of February 1st of the current year.
Those awarded a scholarship will receive notification annually requesting verification of fulltime enrollment and a minimum 2.5 cummulative GPA. If verification is not submitted by the deadline, or if the scholarship winner transfers to another institution, the scholarship will be terminated.
The judging committee will score each applicant on the following:
- Volunteer Work/Job Experience
- Academic and Extra-Curricular Activities & Honors
- GPA & ACT/SAT Score (transcripts are required)
- 300 Word Essay (judged on content and the use of proper English grammar)
Essay topic: Pick an experience from your life and explain how it has influenced your development and/or career plans.
- Supporting Information
Not a member?
Other Scholarship Opportunities
The Minnesota Credit Union Foundation Scholarship Council - Applications for scholarships available exclusively to members of credit unions in Minnesota are currently being accepted. In partnership with the Minnesota Credit Union Foundation Scholarship Council, members of FCCU are eligible for a total of $18,000 being awarded as $1,000 scholarships. More information and the link to the application may be found on their website. Scholarship applications are closed for 2023.
Bank of North Dakota - Additional resources and scholarship opportunities for North Dakota, South Dakota, and Minnesota may be found on the website.