Shop Local this holiday season.
The holidays are quickly approaching, as 2021 nears the end. As we wrap up what has been another somewhat unpredictable year, not even Santa knows what this holiday season is going to put under our trees. One thing is for certain, it won’t stop us from celebrating the holidays, it just might change the way we do so.
When many of us are apt to shop online fore ease, it’s important not to forget about our local businesses too. Small businesses are extremely important to our local economy. Here at FCCU we are thankful for the work they do to create jobs and fuel growth in our local communities.
As we look toward the holiday season, it’s important to remember to shop at your local community stores, small crafters and business owners, restaurants, local flower shops and more. Whether it be through online shopping, local pickup or even in person, we need them, like they need us. Here’s why it’s important:
- Money Spent Local, Stays Local- Quite simply, shopping local means your money stays local. According to Civic Economics, “on average, 48% of each purchase at local independent businesses is recirculated locally, compared to less than 14% of purchases at chain stores.”
- Customer Service-Aimed at focusing on the consumer’s needs, small businesses tend to provide a more personal customer experience. Because local businesses rely on maintaining a good reputation to stay in business, they often focus on going the extra mile with personalized service.
- Uniqueness- It’s without a doubt, many local and small businesses offer a unique shopping experience that you can’t have from a big-box store. Whether it’s a local, handmade product, a specialty food item, a gift card at a local restaurant, a paint and craft night at your local arts gallery, homemade soaps from your farmer down the road, beef from your local rancher, the list for unique ideas is endless. Buying local can help ensure the gifts you’re getting are as unique as the person you’re buying them for.
- Brings Communities & People Together- A small business is often the realization of a life-long goal or dream. The products sold represent the imagination, passion, and dedication of the small business owner. We all have dreams, and we all want them to be supported. When you shop local, you are supporting the dreams of another human being.
- Helps Shape the Local Economy- According to the Small Business Administration, small businesses make up 99.7% of US employer firms, helping shape our local economy. Additionally, small businesses help bring diversity to our local communities. A community cannot thrive alone on just one specific business, but rather various businesses. Plus, don’t forget that small businesses bring jobs to our towns too; this is a valuable asset.
We shouldn’t need one specific day of the year to be reminded to shop or support local businesses. In reality, every day should be small business day! While shopping online might be the route many take this year, as we try to avoid crowds, germs and long lines, hopefully you look locally first and find shopping at small businesses to be rewarding.
Also, as you look toward shopping this holiday season, don’t forget, we can help make your holiday a little more special this year! Stop in to your local branch to see if you qualify for our Christmas Loan Special.
If you are a business owner yourself, don’t forget, FCCU has a full suite of business services from remote deposit capture to identity theft, ACH origination, business credit cards and more, to help you run your company better. Learn more.
Thanksgiving is a time for thankfulness and there is no better way to show your gratitude to your community, than supporting it. May you all have a safe and enjoyable holiday season!